grey

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Yes, I'm single...

It never fails...I go to work every single day and get asked the same questions...Do you have kids? Are you married? Surely you have a boyfriend!?

No people! I don't have kids, I'm not married, and I don't have a boyfriend! After I answer, the conversation always goes one of two ways...

1) I get that judging stare and they say: honey, how old are you? (me: 25) You know you are getting to that age. Why don't you at least have a boyfriend. You better go and find you someone fast and get to having some babies.

or

2) I get the pity stare and they look at me like they just put their foot in their mouth, and feel like they shouldn't have even brought it up. Like I am embarrassed or feel bad about it, and then they feel sorry for me and say...ohh honey you'll find you someone someday.

But the truth is...yes, I'm single, and you know what, IT'S OK! Why does everyone think that a 25 year old girl should be married or planning a wedding? I'm ok with it! Of course I sometimes think I would like to be dating someone, and yes I would like to be close to getting married (so I could plan a wedding and put on a white dress), what girl doesn't think about these things? But I am also REALLY happy being single. I mean I answer to no one but myself. I get to do my own thing, and I get to look at and flirt with every cute guy I see. I get to keep my options open. I am not going to just date the next guy that hits on me and make it a serious relationship. I am not settling people! I wish all these "old" people would see that waiting is so much better than settling!

Now don't get me wrong...if a hottie did come and hit on me, then I would surely go on a date and see where it goes, but I won't be planning some profound future with him or anything.

So quit judging and let me be. 25 is not old (I keep repeating this to myself...) and I don't have to be married. I am keeping my options open and waiting for the one that gives me butterflies!

So, in the words of SJP, " Some people are settling down, some people are settling, and some refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies." These are words that I live by, and I am refusing to settle!

Love ya!
Maggie

1 comment: